I am trying to potty train Ben mostly because I do not want to have two in diapers. Charlotte potty trained fairly soon after Ben was born and it took just a few days. I did the old keep the potty in the living room and strip her down. It was easy and wonderful. My pediatician said the ideal age is between two and two and a half. And Ben will tell us when he is pooping. So I started. If he is bare bummed and I ask him every 40 minutes or so, he will go sit on the potty and pee. He will not use a small potty because that is not what Charlotte uses. I have tried rewarding him with candy after he pees. Then Charlotte pees every half hour so that she can get a candy too. Every once in a while he will tell me that he has to pee. I get really excited then. His absolute favorite thing to do is pee outside in the grass. Yes, I'm a bad mom and I let him do that. But I feel like the only person being potty trained is me. I am the one who has to remember to have him go pee. And it's been going on for weeks now and I do not feel like we are any closer to where we were. If I strap a diaper on him, potty training is done. But I don't want to go anywhere without having one of them on. And I can't stay home all the time. I did it for a few days, but this has been going on for weeks. He will poop on the potty sometimes, but mostly he asks me for a diaper when he has to poop and I do not want to force him, so I will let him do that. Anyone have any ideas? Even if you do not have any experience but just know something from your cousin's aunt's sister. Especially you women with little guys, I'd appreciate knowing if this is normal. I would like to be done with this sometime. My friend told me it took her son an entire summer to potty train. If I stick a diaper on him, am I regressing the whole process?
In other news, I am 32 weeks and no bedrest. This is so different from my previous pregnancies. I actually have swollen feet. Yeah!! I have an appt on Tuesday but I doubt I will know anything since he doesn't check me. I like my new dr ok, but when he couldn't remember that I actually had a cerclage or know the right time to take one out, I will admit my faith was shaken. If I didn't think I would be such a jerk for switching again, I might. But we are nearing the home stretch and things are going fantastically. Charlotte and Ben play together so well I could cry. I love seeing the two of them together. They are so fun with each other. Charlotte is amazing and does so much to help me. Ben is going through a pinching and biting and poking stage. At least we hope it is a stage. Life is going to be rough for him when this kid is born. Warm weather has been appearing lately and I love it. Below are two pictures. I was going to do some more and videos but the computer and I are not getting along. I will try again later

Sunday, March 15, 2009
Potty training
Posted by Lauren at 8:54 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
32!!! I was JUST thinking about you this morning and thinking you were just barely past 24!!! HOLY SMOKES!! Very Cool!! (Except I was hoping you'd come home to have your baby here! lol) Keep up the good work!
Yeah for potty training! And double Yeah for no bed rest!! I'm so glad things are going well!!!
I can't believe you are so far along! At first I was jealous, but then I'm happy that I have 3 1/2 months left :)
So, potty training.... It has kind of been on my mind too with Kenna. She turns 2 next week and has plenty interest in the toliet, but hasn't started telling me that she needs a new diaper or the whole poopy thing. I've decided not to stress about it with her (because I started Madison way too early and it was such a frustrating experience). If I have two in diapers for a bit, I will survive. But then I think it would really be nice to have her be done! We move into our new house mid-April, so maybe I'll give it a go after we get settled. My plan is to try it for one week and if she hasn't caught on, then I figure she isn't ready and I'll try again later. I'm kinda nervous about the whole thing though... good luck to us both :)
Maybe your Dr. forgot about the cerclage because you are doing so well. As for potty training, good luck. My pediatrician said boys are slower (I think really more stubborn)and it's normal for them to get it down between 3 and 4 years. I've heard a lot of people say it's just like a switch has been flipped, they'll do it when they are ready. That's the approach I'm taking with Nathan.:-)
That's so exciting that you're having such a great pregnancy! Hooray! Good luck potty training....I'm afraid I have no advice, but one of my friends says that she always potty trains in the summer so that her boys can just pee outside. She puts them in shorts without underwear so that they're a bit more free. I wonder what Joe would think if I tried that with Brayden....At any rate, no I don't think you're a terrible mom for letting your son do that! You're awesome and your kids are so sweet!
I'm so happy for you two! About the potty training, Reagan loved to hear us sing "When Reagan goes potty on the toilet, we all shout HOORAY!" (repeated four times). The whole family would sing. It took about three weeks (It was just good timing that he was ill and missed church for two Sundays so we didn't have to swich him into diapers except for bedtime).
Cutest kids!!! I'm sorry to hear bout the potty training - it's a hard one!
Post a Comment