Thursday, August 21, 2008

Bad Mommy

So on Monday night we went over with Charlotte what you should do for different disasters like earthquakes, fires and tornadoes (Doug informed me the best place for a tornado is in the tub...did not know that). We talked about when the fire alarm goes off you should run to the nearest door and to the mailbox. Genius Mommy then had Daddy "go to the kitchen" and set off the fire alarm. She had never heard it before and I wanted to make sure she knew what to do. She ran outside with me and Ben and waited very carefully for the firemen to come. We finally convinced her it was just a drill and I thought we were done. Now anytime she goes into or out of her bedroom she needs to have someone with her because she's sure the alarm is going to go off again. She actually seems fairly terrified that it's going to make that horrible noise. It's been 3 days now and it shows no sign of letting up. She woke up from her nap this afternoon and wouldn't leave her bedroom because of the fire detector. Some would say I shouldn't complain about this.......but it's the principal of the matter. I can't remember her being afraid of anything so much. Ideas?

3 comments:

April said...

No ideas, but this is pretty funny! :) Is she too young for you to explain that Heavenly Father wants us to be happy and not be afraid, even if something is scary? j/k :)

Shiela Lee said...

No ideas here either - I'm just happy to see that this kind of stuff happens in other people's homes, too!

A Forever Family said...

Hey I think that it was pretty smart of you guys to teach your kids about what to do incase of an emergency. It's never a fun thing to teach, I mean who really wants to scare their kids anyways? But anyhow it's important. Being in the midwest teaching the kids about tornados is a must need and it scared the kids to death. However, in the long run the scary part isn't too intense anymore, they are just very aware of their surrounding more now then every before. So, my guess I would say the same thing will happen for you guys. Charlotte my be scared out of her mind for a week or even a month, but in the long run it will only help her to be more aware of her surroundings. You aren't a bad mom, you are a smart mom, teaching very hard yet important things. We teach them these things because we love them and want to keep them safe, and that's the whole point. You are doing great!