Saturday, November 21, 2009

Feelings of Inadequacy

Ok, I'm pretty sure these feelings are unwarranted, but lately I have been feeling as the title tells inadequate. I have gone to visit multiple friends in the neighborhood and their houses are all spotless and completely organized. I swear they have to have a maid. They all have kids around my age and I just do not see how they do it. Their houses look like they come out of catalogues. Yes, I know they knew I was coming, but even if I had 2 weeks notice I could not get my house to look like that. Aynway, I was just hoping for some words of encouragement. "It's ok Lauren, my house does not look that way all the time", or "that does not make them better than you." Or does it? Anyway, that's where I am right now. I cannot seem to get over the funk so I was hoping for some help. Thanks

8 comments:

Jamie VanDyke said...

LAUREN!!!!!!!!! You want to know why your house doesn't look like that??? It's because you are an awesome Mommy and an awesome person and you never put materialistic things ahead of your children! Sure, you could ignore your family's needs and maintain a pristine home, but you are better than that and I respect you for it.

Shiela Lee said...

Suck it up, sister!

Hee, hee! I'm just kidding!

The best words of encouragement I ever got were from my dear friend Nancy Rappleye. Jacob was my newborn and I felt like you are explaining...I just couldn't get it together.

She said, "There is a time and a season for all things, and right now, you are in the mommy season." So I stopped stressing so much about laundry, and genealogy, and weight loss, and volunteering and and and...I just enjoyed my mommy season.

Soon enough your older kids will be old enough to have some responsibilities around the house and will become more of a help than not. I promise, it all works out when it's supposed to!

Heather said...

I can GUARANTEE you that my house is a disaster every day!! Sometimes it is more important to play with your kids than worry abt your house. They are only little once and you can never get this time back.

Joe Pratt said...

Whenever I feel inadequate I remember the Lord calls the weak and simple to do his work. And through small and simple things great things are brought to pass.

Unknown said...

It just goes to show that you play and have fun with your kids more than them! :-) No one is perfect. I use to think one of my close friends was SUPER mom and in my head just pictured EVERYTHING perfect ALWAYS. Then one day I randomly showed up at her house and realized that she is normal after all. No one is perfect and EVERYONE has their own strengths. I've learned to not compare and now I really just don't care when someone seems so much more put together than I am because in all reality I have no idea what their life is really like behind closed doors. All I see is the facebook or blog posts or small glimpses from quick visits. I am just happy knowing that I'm doing all that I can for me and my family. Hope that makes sense. Just don't compare. It does more harm than good. You are a great mommy!

alpinekleins said...

Lauren - no REAL family that lives in the REAL world has a house that looks like what you described! And that's the truth. I had bookgroup at my house this week and I had exactly one family room vacuumed and clean (and one bathroom - just in case) the rest of the house was trashed with all the doors closed:) And you know how many people are living at my house at the moment :)

Anway - this outta make you feel good. Stop by www.pickledpepperphotography.blogspot.com and see how cute you all are !!

Kristin

Elizabeth said...

Next time you need a little pick me up, just drop by our house.....it's always a disaster! ;) When our living room looks clean (only for 3 min. after cleaning up or at night with my husband's help), our bedrooms are usually a mess! But seriously, you're awesome! Just enjoy your kids and blame the messes on them! ;) Instead of focusing on what you can't do, focus on what you can if it makes you feel better. Like instead of having your entire home spotless, you can just have one place that's kept clean and uncluttered. This week I took all the junk off the top of our bookshelves and when look at them with only holiday decorations on top, it makes me happy. Granted, I probably should've put away the junk instead of just moved it to my dresser! ;)

Kathryn said...

First of all, I don't have 3 adorable children and my house STILL isn't always picked up and dishes always done. Life happens, people LIVE in homes. You're amazing! Look on the bright side.. atleast you have someone to blame the messes on! :)