Monday, December 6, 2010

Scheduled

So I found out this last week that I am Group B strep positive, which means I have to get antibiotics during labor. They want the antibiotics given twice in four hours. The only problem is my labors are not usually that long. I'm not due til the 21st, but really, who wants their birthday on the 21st of December? They'd get the whole, oh "here's your birthday and Christmas present" deal all their life. Everyone I've talked to who has their birthday around that times says that's what happens. I know that getting the antibiotics is best for the baby and I only want what's best. So I've scheduled an induction for the 15th of December. Time to be determined the day before. This way I can guarantee all the antibiotics. But I really wanted to go into labor on my own this time. I was so excited for it, the whole when would labor start? At that point I'll be 39w1d, the most pregnant I've ever been. My water broke with Charlotte at 37 weeks. With Ben I was also GBS + and they induced me at 38w2d. With Anna I made it to 38w5d and went into labor on my own. Anyway, I'm having a hard time with this. Deep down I know I won't go into labor on my own before that. My pregnancy has been so different this time around that I know I won't have an early labor like I have with the others. Also, my MIL is coming down to stay on the 14th to help out. The 15th would be perfect and safest and best for my baby. When I called to schedule the induction the nurse was like, "You do know this is an elective induction right?" Almost started crying right then. It makes me feel so guilty. I know that having a date scheduled makes everything easier. Babysitters for the kids, Doug has work off scheduled, etc. But I just feel like I'm admitting defeat doing it this way. Ok, had to get this all off my chest. Thanks Ok, just found out that Charlotte has a school Christmas presentation on the 16th so we're moving it to the 17th. I figure if I'm going to have the luxury of scheduling it I'd like not to miss important things like my daughter's Christmas singing!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't make yourself think that. You are just being smart and non-selfish. Its those that stay at home and labor (knowing they are GBS+) and then come in and deliver a baby that is in the NICU for 2 weeks. Trust me. You are the smart one!

alpinekleins said...

Hee - you're so cute! I'm just laughing! You're going to go into labor before your induction day!

Kristin

Shiela Lee said...

*smack* This is the mother of guilt talking to you now...put it behind you and be grateful that you know that you need the antibiotics and will get them! Be grateful that you have a good doctor! Be grateful that your MIL will be there to help! There should be no guilt! NONE! Do you hear me!!! In a week you'll be looking back and thinking, "Why was I so worked up? The baby is here and healthy and everything's good!" (Call me if you need this pep-talk in person! LOL) xoxo

Kathryn said...

Lauren I had no idea you were due so soon! I am a horrible friend. I'm sorry you're feeling upset about the birth. You are an AMAZING mother. I am so happy for you and #4!!!! :)