Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The birth story

I was supposed to be induced on Friday but I changed my mind and moved the induction day back, hoping that somehow I'd go into labor on my own. But after my appt on Thursday and being told I'd only progressed not even a full centimeter in two weeks, I started to freak out that my baby would be born too close to Christmas. I tried to move the induction date to the 21st, but they were full. The nurse was very kind and gave me ideas on how to induce labor on your own. Then she called back and said the midwife would be willing to strip my membranes if I came in right then. I rushed right in, only to wait at the office for 45 minutes. When she checked me I was 4+. The stripping didn't hurt at all and the cramping started soon thereafter. I laid down to rest with Anna, and the cramps weren't doing much. By three, they were coming every 3 minutes, but not at all painful. Doug got pulled away from seeing the movie he was so excited for at the last minute. We headed down to the hospital where I was sure we were going to get turned away and sent home because they contractions were no longer 3 minutes apart. When she checked me around 4:30 I was at a 5+. Can I tell you how much I hate the + they have decided to add to my measurements all the time? They started me on the antibiotics. Then, when they were done Doug and I started walking the halls. The contractions were very manageable which would have been great if I hadn't been expecting another Anna labor. When they checked me around 6:30, I was 6cm. Which I had been hours ago. I started to get impatient...But as long as I walked during the contractions and didn't have anyone talking to me, the contractions almost didn't even hurt. The midwife came back and talked me into breaking my waters after the second dose of antibiotics. Well, actually, she said she'd do it 15 minutes before but she lied. She told me that to try and get me to keep going. By that time I'd been walking the halls for 4 hours and I almost asked for an epidural because I was tired of walking. But if I sat down the contractions were worse. Anyway, I got the second dose of antibiotics and she checked me. I was at an 8. At 9pm she broke my water.Two contractions later I was feeling pushy and found to be 9 1/2 cm with an anterior lip. So I pushed through the lip and I think I pushed 6 times and she was there. She was as big as we were expecting. She was mad for a while, though I can't imagine being out was very nice. The kids love her and my MIL has helped me be able to spend some wonderful one on one time with her. I love her sleeping with the eyes open that all my kids have done. I love their hands, how they have no control over them and seem to be amazed when they move. I love the noises that they make when they realize they're finally getting food. I love how they smell and I love how small she is.

7 comments:

Brittany Collier said...

You're amazing! I love her cheeks. Glad everything went well.

Unknown said...

Congrats Congrats!! You rock! I ran into Doug and church on Sunday and he told me the story. Seriously girl, you are amazing! Glad things went well. I want to come see her soon. We all have little colds so I'll wait a couple of weeks.

alpinekleins said...

I'm so proud of you cute girl! I hope we can stop by in between the holidays - can't wait to see this beautiful Genevieve.

((hugs))

˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •˛

•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •˛

• ˚ | 田田 |門| ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛

……~٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶٩( -̮̮̃-̃)۶٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶٩(●̮̮̃●̃)۶٩(•̮̮̃ •̃)۶

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Kristin

A Forever Family said...

Oh Lauren she looks simply beautiful, just like her mama. =)
Sounds like it went rather well with this pregnancy and delivery, what a blessing. And to have her come around Christmas time, but not at Christmas time, an even more blessing. You probably could relate a lot with how Mary felt, being great with child with Jesus.
I bet you guys had a most wonderful Christmas as you wonderful Burke Family only deserve.
Much Love to you guys, =)Tanya

Julie Carlile said...

Congrats, that is amazing that you did it all natural. I sometimes wonder if I should try it since my epideral ran out at a 8 with Kambree. But if I have to be induced again I don't know if I could do that, the contractions were terrible from the pitocin. So glad that she is here though :)

alpinekleins said...

Sorry we keep missing you when you've up Alpine way!

Just spreading the word! Kelsie has an amazing new blog, all about her preparations and upcoming humanitarian adventure to Tanzania. Hope you can stop by sometime soon!

http://www.kelsieklein.blogspot.com/

((hugs))

Kristin

Kate and Wes said...

You are amazing. I don't think I could have done that with out an epideral. Oh and I just love her name!