Doug took the kids to go look at yard sales. So instead of cleaning, I am going to do this :) I had an appointment on Wednesday morning and found I was 4cm dilated, 90% effaced and -1 station. They asked if I wanted to have my membranes stripped on the next appointment but I declined because I have heard it is very painful and not a guarantee. I still felt it was going to be a while. That morning I threw up and felt nauseated most of the day. After we got the kids to bed, I started cramping around 8:30. I honestly just thought I was getting sick. Anyway, they started hurting more than I thought they should so we started timing them. Lo and behold, every 2 minutes. By the time we found someone to watch the kids and head out, it was 10 o'clock before we made it to the hospital. They checked me and I was still the same that I was that morning. I was dissapointed. I figured they were going to send me home again. But they said since I was contracting that frequently, they wouldn't send me home and if I didn't start making progress they would break my water. I wanted to do this whole thing completely naturally so I was a little frustrated about that. After about 45 minutes of contractions, I asked them to check me again. I was not handling the contractions as well as i thought I was going to, and wanted to make sure they were doing something now. I was at a 6, and was very discouraged. I know now that that is not bad progress for 45 minutes, but in the moment I could not see it. Anyway, after a few more contractions I begged Doug for an epidural. He knew I wanted to try it naturally and was torn between helping me do what I wanted to do and what he knew would help. The nurse who had been helping me said that she would check me again just to make sure. I was at a 9. I said, "Oh crap." The midwife said "What?" I said, "Now I have to do this naturally." She said, " I thought that was the plan all along." Haha, I didn't think that was funny. I started pushing and my water broke. There was meconium in her bag and they wanted me to push on the bed. At this point I was standing next to the bed. I tried to get up onto the bed but it hurt way more, so I said sorry not happening. And they started to put towels down on the ground. Yup, I was that earthy chic. I pushed again and felt that ring of fire sensation they talk about but it felt wonderful to push. Two pushes later she was out and I had delivered my baby next to the bed. The best part was that I didn't tear or get an episiotomy. Recovery was a breeze. She was born at 11:06 pm and was 7lbs 2 oz and 18 1/2 inches long. She is so little. It is wonderful! I'm sure that had a lot to do with not tearing, too. She, like her siblings before her, had some wheezing when she was born and spend an hour in the special care nursery. The meconium turned out not to be a problem, thank goodness. No, we do not have a name. Yes, we know that makes us bad parents. I have never actually left the hospital without a name before. I forgot the wonder that is babies. I love everything about her. I love her smell. I love every sound she makes. I love cuddling her. I could watch her for hours and wish sometimes that she was my first again so that I can actually do that. My kids are doing great with her. I told Doug we should have 8 more of them and I honestly wasn't kidding at the moment. There is something magical about babies. Anyway, here are some pictures
Here she is with her proud big sister who loves to hold her as long as she isn't crying
Can't get enough of her baby sister
Here is the proud big brother
My sister Nicole who was a pro with her. Cami, on the other hand, much prefers older kids. They both came to visit me while at the hospital and it was great. This is the first baby I have had surrounded by so much family and it has been wonderful to share the joy with everyone
Here's the angry newborn picture! The hospital has a lojack system for the babies. Step past a certain area and a huge alarm sounds. It was pretty interesting. Anyway, name coming soon. We are almost there!
Saturday, May 2, 2009
Birth Story
Posted by Lauren at 8:36 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Way to go natural. Me... NEVER!!! I'm all for epidurals.
:-) I can't wait to see this little girl. Let me know when you are ready for visitors because I'm DYING to hold her!
Congratulations! What another beautiful little girl you have! I love reading birth stories and am glad that your labor went so well and drug free--way to go! I hope to go natural next time too! And please, don't even think for one minute you're a bad parent just because you still don't officially have a name for your sweet angel! You're obviously an amazing mother, especially if after birth, you're wanting to have 8 more kids!!!!! Maybe you should start picking out their names now though......j/k! ;) Anyways, keep enjoy the newborn stage before your baby out grows it! Loves!
Awwwww!!! Oh I wish I could be there!! I want to snuggle and sniff and love on her, too!
More pictures!!!
Congratulations!!
Oh Lauren..... what a beauty she is! All that work and pain so worth it at the end. You ought to be given a medal of honor for having a live natural birth! Actually that's not a bad idea, I should make one and send it your way. =) We are super glad that you and the baby are healthy and happy! Let us know what this sweet little girl's name is soon will ya!? =)
You are beyond words for doing it natural. The question is would you do it again natural? Your baby is so beautiful. Keep us posted on the name--and no you are not bad parents you just want to make sure it is the right name. Such a beautiful baby needs a beautiful name and that takes time.
Beyond words was a compliment!
Way to cute! She is soooo darling, and I love all the photos. We hoped to come by Sunday, but it turned out to be a little crazy around here. But we will soon. Call if you need anything!
Kristin
Congratulations! She is beautiful! Way to go on the "natural" thing, it's something that you'll always be glad you did.
Wendi
Man, you are wonder woman. I don't think I could go natural. Congrats - so glad that everything went well! You guys have such a cute family.
YEAH!!! Makes me want to cry! Congratulations on the baby.
Oh my goodness, you are much braver than I! You're so little and determined to do it without drugs?! crazy! Glad it all went well and your pregnancy was a successful one. But seriously, we need a name already. :o)
Wow, you are a champ! I went natural with my first two completely by accident - I could never do it on purpose.
She's beautiful, and I love her name. I'm telling my Anna you named your baby after Sam's biggest sister because Sam was your favorite in nursery ;-)
Natural? Wow, I'm impressed! I'm glad everything went well! You are just so fabulous, and HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!!!!
Post a Comment