Monday, November 24, 2008

Help wanted

So I've been trying to decide what to get the kids for Christmas. They don't really need any new toys, I know that. I don't want to buy them something just to buy it. Anyone have any great ideas for toys that I'm not thinking of? I'm going to go to the dollar store and get lots of little things. Will that be enough for a 3 and 1 year old? Charlotte is really excited about Christmas this year.....Do I have to buy them big things? Any comments appreciated

9 comments:

Shiela Lee said...

So here's the lesson I wish I'd learned early on!

Your kids are young enough now that you can still form their Christmas expectations.

I wish that I'd "trained" my children to accept that two or three things was all the gift giving was. Instead we went all out with Jason the first few years - and kept it up through about Jared...now it's just a horrible, painful process of being bombarded with "I want's".

I'm not saying don't do gifts...I'm not an extremest...but giving lots of dollar store gifts now is great...until they get bigger and expect LOTS of bigger gifts b/c that's what they are used to...does any of this make sense? LOL I'm trying to back pedal now and it's almost impossible!

Rayburn Family said...

I've learned that it's best to buy one or two quality things rather than spending the equal amount of money on less expensive smaller items. This is because the less expensive items usually break within a couple of weeks and get spread around the house, where as the couple of quality items will last and you won't have so much to pick up. :-) Hope that helps.

Heather said...

What are your kids really into right now? Zack really loves Trains so we are getting him a train table. Just one gift. It's somewhat expensive so we figure he will just get the one thing.

Perhaps you could just get them one thing that you know they would really like instead of a bunch of little things

Kassi said...

You have more experience than me. However, I have one idea that all kids love and it is inexpensive. Pez Dispenser.

Elizabeth said...

I have a great article about Santa Claus that my dad sent me. I'll email it to you. It tells about how we can teach our kids to believe in Santa while keeping the true meaning of Christmas in our hearts. I think presents, whether from parents or Santa should be kept to a minimum, as in 2 or 3 gifts. Joe's mom totally gives TONS of presents (from the dollar store, DI, and other bargains), while my mom gives only a few gifts of greater quality that have more meaning.

Kris and Teresa said...

sounds like you've got a lot of ideas. When we were growing up we got one thing from santa and something from my parents (usually clothes) then we would give to each other as well. Stockings were mostly practicle, toothbrushes, toothpaste etc. with one sock toy. That's all

Aubrie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joe Pratt said...

I like the idea of giving a telescope. Maybe not this year because they are too young but sometime down the road try the telescope. Then you can spend time with them and collect pond water and show them how cool it is to see all the living things swimming around in it.

PS the comment delete was because I accidentally posted as Aubrie.

Lynanne said...

You are wise to not buy stuff just to buy it. I like the ideas the others have already given you. Another hint I've heard is to individually wrap the parts of a bigger gift. Kids that age are all about the fun of opening the gift. Gift ideas: books (who can have too many?) and open-ended gifts that can grow with the kid like wooden playsets, legos, etc.