Monday, February 23, 2009

Names

I still do not know what I am having, yeah Doug! But I like thinking about girls names more cuz they are just more fun. I have vetoed any names that appeared on the top ten list for 2008 because I don't want my kid to be the 3rd Emma in her class. But I really like some of these names. Tell me what you think. Do you think it is important for a child to have a unique name? Mostly not too popular I guess is what I mean. Do any of you have a common name and did it bother you? How do you feel about your name? I love Sophia and Olivia and Hannah but all of them are on that list that I have banned. Any thoughts would be appreciated. And if you can't comment on my blog, just email me!

16 comments:

alpinekleins said...

I love unique names! Just not too weird . . . I mean I wish I'd kept track over the years . . . I've HEARD some weird names here at work. Some of the old stuff is coming back, which is interesting. I've had three unusual BOY names lately, Stacey (like Stacy Keach), Lindsey, Francis. So there you go;)

Kristin

Heather said...

I like different names, but I'm also in the camp of not TOO wierd. We named our son Zack. I'm a child of the 90's and grew up with saved by the bell so that was the only way I knew how to spell it. Apparently the popular way is actually Zach so we have spend 2 years correcting his name!! :-)

My friend had a little boy she named Kenryk and I thought that was pretty cute and we have a Kennick, Carter & Boone at daycare so I think now a days... anything goes.

Lynanne said...

Growing up, I didn't have anyone in my class with my name. I liked having my own name but I used to wish I'd come across it more. When we named our kids, we stayed away from the top 10 but did use the top 50. Three of my 4 kids have common names though 2 have lesser used spellings. My middle son hates that people misspell his name all the time.

As for the one uncommon name - our oldest has a traditional name in my husband's home country that isn't at all common in the US. I regretted choosing it, but my son loves having a name that none of his classmates have.

Good luck choosing!

Shiela Lee said...

Hey, wasn't Sophie an option for Charlotte?? I think I remember voting for that one and not winning! lol I'm still voting for that to be your girl name. For your boy name - I went with common names that felt "strong" to me (if that makes sense). Yes, there are a boat load of Jasons...but I like that name, nobody has to sound it out, it's not spelled funky (he can buy pencils with his name on them, lol) it goes nicely with his last name, which unlike his sisters, he will have his whole life - so take that into consideration too.

Think of nick names - sing the banana-fanna song - does it rhyme with fat or gay or anything else that they'll get teased for (although, you know kids will find a way to tease no matter what you do - my own husband is the worst! lol)

You'll do fine.

Brittany Collier said...

Oh, names. My theory is, if it is a good name and it is not popular already, it probably will be so you just can't win. So if you don't want a popular/common name, I'd go with Norma. Good luck!

A Forever Family said...

As you know my kids have different names. I really enjoy naming my children with names of meaning. That way when they grow up and are having a hard time they can look to their name to give them strength to help them through rough times. My boy have middle names of prophets and my girls have names of jewels...for they are as special as jewels to us....

Tiphaine Brewer said...

I know 3 Sophies and 4 Olivias and 3 Hannahs...but what's one more of any of them...Hailey is the only one that has a name that she can find on a pencil (well...her and Eric)...the rest of us have common names but weird spellings...Cayson has 2 Teigans (tee-gan)in his class...and Hailey has one in hers as well...I wouldn't think that was a common name but apparently it is! Your baby will be beautiful no matter what his/her name is! (not rufus, though...heard a mom call her son that at the store...hope it was a nickname!)

Rayburn Family said...

We have a hard time picking names because so many have bad connections with kids Brian has taught or been Principal to. :-) So far he has never had a Nathan or a Carter, fingers crossed. I would just go with something you love or has special meaning. I always look out for the rhyming factor...does it rhyme with something bad. Good Luck. I find girls names easier too, but no such luck for me!

mamasuisse said...

Wow, this question could open up a whole can of worms. People tend to have very strong opinions about names. I like traditional names, but not necessarily popular ones. We chose Abigail and were shocked to later learn it was on the top list (thanks to the John/Abigail Adams biography that was out shortly before her birth and also, I think, the tv show, ER). One of my favorites (Steve wouldn't even consider it) is Hazel. It's just barely starting to make a comeback. If you go with a funky spelling, you'll spend your whole life correcting it. And if you go with something overly unique, be very careful ;-) (see Utah Baby Namer). Good luck - baby naming is fun but HARD!

The Good Life: GMGE said...

I'm a big fan of political names. I love Kennedy, Reagan, and Carter the most. I'm a huge fan of Sofie and Olivia, but you're right, who wants to have 4 other girls in your class with the same name. I tend to stay away from unique spellings because then people will forever know you lived in Utah when you named your children.
I love the comment someone made about the banana-fana song. Keep that in mind.

Kent and TerriLyn said...

My name, Terri, sounds like too many other names. Really confusing in a classroom setting. I combined my first and middle names and, though some think I come from the south (Mary-Ellen, Bobby-Jo etc. LOL) I like the difference it has made. My other recommendation is spell it like it sounds so your child doesn't grow up having to spell his/her name for every new aquaintence.
Congrats!

Kassi said...

I didn't have a common name but my parents spelled it a funky way. I hated it. I often got called Casey--in my mind that is a boys name. So I would never give my kid a name that could be male or female. I would also spell it as normal as possible--but that is just my opinion.

Unknown said...

How about one of the following: Kira, Kishi, Kana, Khalida, Hilzarie, Necia...you can ask Doug about these female names. He should recognize them.

Kris and Teresa said...

I think you can be unique without weird. I didn't have any other Teresa's in my class growing up but it wasn't a name that people couldn't figure out either so I guess I got the best of both. We always try to come up with something unique for our kids but in the end sometimes it comes down to what you really like best, I don't ever want to be eh about a name I want to be completely sold on it.

Unknown said...

Hi, Lauren,this is Maggie.Would you like a Chinese name for the baby?

Amber said...

Cute pics below :) I can't give you any help with names, because I think it's just simply hard to narrow it down for ourselves. Good luck though. I hope life is going well for you guys, take care!